I work in a commercial gym, one of hundreds across the country and I hear a lot of different reasons as to why people don’t achieve their goals and the number one factor is that people just don’t stick to the gym.
They go for a few weeks or even a few months and at the start it’s all sunshine and rainbows. They’re bursting with enthusiasm, they’ve bought brand new gym clothes and they’ve even started posting inspirational quotes of Instagram and Facebook to show everyone how dedicated they are the getting fit (You know who you are people).
But then they’ll start doing a few less reps, a few minutes less cardio, eat a few more treats and then before you know it they’ve given up altogether and are back to square one.
As a Personal Trainer this is very frustrating to see as I have witnessed their potential and what they can do when they put their mind to it, and all they have to do was keep doing exactly what they were doing, but they just simply stopped!
But how can we prevent this drop off and lack of drive to keep doing or ‘get back on the horse’?
Man with a Plan
Most of the time, people don’t stick with the gym or fitness regime because:
- They don’t see results
- They don’t know what they’re doing
- They have a few days/week off and can’t be arsed to get back into it (Shots fired)
And here is the very short and blunt solution to all of these:
- Either you’re not putting in any effort with your exercise and/or your diet sucks
- Ask one of the gym staff (Make sure you ask one of the ones who actually knows a thing or two about fitness), google workout programmes or get a Personal Trainer (A good one is seriously worth it)
- Man up, put the tub of ice cream down, get dressed and go to the gym. No ifs, no buts, sometimes you’ve just got to suck it up and do it.
And there you have it, a very short blog on sticking to the gym and not slacking off. If some of the things said have triggered or offended you then that’s good, because that means what has been said is true and applies to you!
Until next time!